December 8, 2011

Stuffed Peppers {recipe}

This year for Thanksgiving, we keep it super simple. I've never been so un-stressed for a holiday. I'm usually pulling out my hair, checking everything and drinking coffee like crazy. Okay, so I do that last part anyway. 

I usually stick to the old standards of Turkey, Stuffing (which for some reason, I always insist on making even though the husband and kids don't eat it) Garlic Mashed Potatoes (which are killer, BTW), Green Bean Casserole (one year I made it with fresh green beans and it wasn't the same.).

This year we totally shook things up. No turkey. None. No stuffing. None.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Green Beans
Black Bean Burgers
Sunflower Burgers
Sweet Potato Pie
and these Stuffed Peppers.

I found the recipe in Tosca Reno's The Eat-Clean Diet. I've had the cookbook for about 3 years now and this is the first recipe I've ever made out of it. I find the majority of them fussy and full of ingredients. I'm a 5-ingredient kind of girl. 

I slightly modified the recipe, so I feel comfortable sharing it (vs. ripping it off or just telling you to go buy the book. If I ever use a recipe verbatim or only change one or two things, I'll tell you. I will always link to the blog I found it.)

One of the things I liked about this recipe was that the majority of it can be prepped ahead of time. Actually, I suggest you prep the filling/stuffing ahead of time to the flavors can get "how you doin'?" time. I didn't prep any of this ahead of time, but I can tell you that it was better the next day. Also, it makes a lot of filling. You will have extra and it's pretty good scooped with chips, on a salad or as a salad with your favorite dressing (hello Newman).

It starts with a butternut squash. This one was easy to peel. The sides were pretty straight. I know the really curvy ones are pretty, but they are a pain to peel. 



Peel it, cube it, throw it on a roasting pan for 30 minutes at 375-400. I also put a little salt and pepper on it. It's all about building layers of flavor.

Get 4 bell peppers. I'm partial to the yellow and orange, but those were not on sale and the red ones were. I splurged on the yellow and orange.
Make sure they stand up on their own. Brandon had a great time putting his hands all over the bell peppers at Albertson's checking to see if they stand up. These 4 were the winners.
Lob off the tops, remove the seeds and the ribs.
Now...now...I get frustrated. It's a necessary step but a pain. It pains me to partially cook anything, then stick it in the oven to finish. PAINS ME. But I did it and you should to.
In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the prepped peppers (say that 5 times fast) and cook briefly. BRIEFLY. Like until they get a little soft. Remove them and set them upside down to dry on a paper towel, like so. (Do you know how long it takes to boil water when you are on a schedule and only have 4 burners, all of which are being used? ETERNITY, that's how long. Necessary step though.)
On to the filling! I used
half a yellow onion, diced. (It was big, and we're not that big on onion, so half was right for us.)
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup of your roasted butternut squash (stop eating off the pan)
3 finely diced/chopped/mutilated cloves of garlic


In a large skillet (make sure it has a lid) with some olive oil, begin to saute your onion, carrot, butternut squash and garlic. Cook until your carrots get soft and your onion becomes soft and begins to turn slightly brown/tan.

Then add:
2 cups Roma Tomatoes, chopped and deseeded
1-15oz can of black beans, rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups of fresh black beans)
1 cup corn kernels (If you use frozen, I won't judge you. It's December)

Cook for 5 minutes more.


In a large bowl, (LARGE) I mixed up 1 cup of brown rice with 1 cup of wild rice mixture. Because I could. You can use all brown rice, but I probably wouldn't use all 2 cups wild rice mixture. It doesn't have enough moisture.
Add your vegetable mixture to the rice. 
Season with
1/2 cup cilantro (or less if you like less. Or parsley if you don't like it at all)
Juice of 1 fresh lime
Salt and Pepper

This is where you would want to give your stuffing the "how you doin'?" time. If you make the filling ahead of time, you can refrigerate it overnight. It really gives the lime and cilantro time to do it's thing. Don't prep the peppers ahead of time.

In a non-stick/sprayed baking dish that fits the peppers nicely (and dirtying 3 others trying to get them to fit) stuff the peppers. Don't over stuff them.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Serve immediately.

Stuffed Peppers

1 cup roasted butternut squash
half a yellow onion, diced.
1 large carrot, grated
3 finely diced/chopped/mutilated cloves of garlic

2 cups Roma Tomatoes, chopped and de-seeded
1-15oz can of black beans, rinsed
1 cup corn kernels

1 cup brown rice
1 cup wild rice mix
1/2 cup cilantro (or less if you like less. Or parsley if you don't like it at all)
Juice of 1 fresh lime
Salt and Pepper
4 large bell peppers

Filling/Stuffing:
Peel and cube a butternut squash, throw it on a roasting pan for 30 minutes at 375-400. 
In a large skillet (make sure it has a lid) with some olive oil, begin to saute your onion, carrot, butternut squash and garlic. Cook until your carrots get soft and your onion becomes soft and begins to turn slightly brown/tan.
Then add the tomatoes, black beans and corn.
Cook for 5 minutes more.
In a large bowl, combine rice and vegetable mixture.
Season with cilantro (or parsley), lime juice and S&P.

Pepper Prep:
Lob off the tops, remove the seeds and the ribs.
In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the prepped peppers (say that 5 times fast) and cook briefly, until they get a little soft. Remove them and set them upside down to dry on a paper towel. 

Put it all together:
In a non-stick/sprayed baking dish that fits the peppers nicely stuff the peppers. Don't over stuff them.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Serve immediately







1 comment:

  1. My 10 year old self would kick my arse for trying these, but I think I might hafta.

    P.S. I'm hungry. Going to console myself with cereal while I drool over these scrumptious pictures.

    ReplyDelete