December 14, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup {recipe}

I found this recipe where I usually find all things, Pinterest. When I followed the link, it took me to Cook Like a Champion's blog. Beautiful. I can't wait to go back and read through more of their blog. 

The recipe posted wasn't vegan, but what a fantastic recipe to veganize.


It made a filling, rounded soup. The flavors were so full and it was simple to make. I made it once, then made it again and again. I tweaked it each time and this last time I really nailed it. And the kids liked it. Win.

I used two heads of cauliflower (one large, one smaller) and two heads of garlic. Yes, that much garlic. When you roast garlic an amazing thing happens to it. It's not sharp, it rounds out and mellows. For our tastes, the modified recipe works for us.

Multiply this photo times two.

Cut off the cauliflower florets and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to roast. Place whole garlic heads on the roasting pan and top with a bit of olive oil as well.

Roast cauliflower for 25-30 minutes (check it and turn it half-way through). Remove from pan and let garlic roast for an additional 5 minutes. Let garlic cool.
When the garlic is cooled, squeeze it out of the paper. I did a bad job of it. They make it look so easy. With a SHARP knife, remove the root (bottom) of the garlic. Pinching the top of the garlic, squeeze down and the cloves should pop out. (To remove the smell from your hands, rub your hands on the stainless steel sink before you wash them)
This is where I stop taking pictures again. I get busy cooking and forget about the camera. Whoops.
2 carrots, diced
1 leek
We like leeks. Leeks are good.
In a heavy pot, sweat the leeks and carrots. Let them get some slight color on them...and the bottom of the pan.
Combine salt, pepper, paprika and dried thyme.
You also need 1 tbls flour (I used white whole wheat. It's what I could reach)
After the veggies sweat, add in spices and flour.
Let the flour pick up some of the color.
Then add 1/2 cup of water to de-glaze the bottom of the pan.
Scrape up the bottom of the pan and get all that flavor goodness.
Now more steps I don't have pictures of. 
Add cauliflower and roasted garlic to the pot.
Throw in 4 cups of water or vegetable broth (I use water, the soup has enough flavor on it's own. Plus it's becoming harder to find veggie broth around town.)

Using an immersion blender (I used to have one...somewhere) or the blender in batches, blend the soup to your desired consistency. I like mine not so smooth. 

After it's blended to your likeness, add some parsley (fresh or dried, I used dried, I don't judge) and soy creamer. Yup, like the kind for your coffee. Use the original, obviously. I don't think the soup would taste so good with vanilla creamer.
I used 2/3 cup soy creamer and heat through.
It's fantastic.
The kids loved it.

Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup

2 heads of cauliflower (one large, one smaller)
2 heads of garlic
Olive oil
2 carrots, diced
1 leek, cleaned and cut
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tbls flour
1/2 cup water
4 cups water (or vegetable broth)
2/3 cup soy creamer
1 tbls fresh or dried parsley

Heat oven to 400. 
Cut off the cauliflower florets and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to roast. Place whole garlic heads on the roasting pan and top with a bit of olive oil as well.
Roast cauliflower for 25-30 minutes (check it and turn it half-way through). Remove from pan and let garlic roast for an additional 5 minutes. Let garlic cool.
When the garlic is cooled, squeeze it out of the paper. With a SHARP knife, remove the root (bottom) of the garlic. Pinching the top of the garlic, squeeze down and the cloves should pop out.
In a heavy pot, sweat the leeks and carrots. Let them get some slight color on them...and the bottom of the pan, approximately 10 minutes.
Add in spices and flour.
Let the flour pick up some of the color.
Then add 1/2 cup of water to de-glaze the bottom of the pot.
Add cauliflower and roasted garlic.

Add in 4 cups of water or vegetable broth.
Using an immersion blender or the blender in batches, blend the soup to your desired consistency. 
After it's blended to your likeness, add some parsley and soy creamer. 
Heat through and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment