November 28, 2011

Kitchen Tip: Baking Organization

Happy Monday!

I feel pretty good today. I'm on my third cup of coffee. That probably (certainly) has something to do with it.

Thanksgiving came and went and you probably realized one of two things:
1. I am one organized mofo
2. Holy moly! Where is the flour/sugar/cornstarch/cinnamon/oregano?! I can't find a freaking thing in this house! Arghanioxnldinfriloshbnonkjgnds

I fall somewhere in the middle; as far as life goes I'm around 1.5. In the kitchen I proudly claim 1. Boom. I have crappy crappy cabinets. No fancy pantry, just ridiculously deep cabinets (about a third of which I can't reach). Stuff hopelessly rolls or gets shoved to the back (was that peanut butter? Oh Gah! I hope that wasn't peanut butter).

When we moved a year ago, I ended up with lots of extra clear plastic bins. Bing! Is there nothing a good plastic bin can't do? Love them.

Anyway...I put all my baking stuff in one bin above my stove. Stuff I don't use all the time, but that all go together. I have a variety of flours, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar all in one bin! How awesome is that? I can keep it all together and it's easy to see when the spelt flour is getting low without searching through cabinets for a half used bag hidden behind something else.





 I think I'm gonna need a bigger bin.

In the bottom cabinets, I employed another box for all my spices. These are the guys that always end up rolling around to the back-lands of the cabinets. Now they are all corralled in one plastic bin. 

 I purchased a few of the small Glad throw-away storage thingies. I sometimes buy loose spices and these are okay for storing them. Not as ideal as glass jars, but I go through cumin and chile powder pretty quickly. I use a dry-erase marker to write the spice on the top of the lids and it wipes off nicely.


So there you have it. Imagine you are getting ready to make sugar cookies and all you have to pull down one bin and not search around several cabinets/drawers for everything you need. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment