November 3, 2011

Hello, November

This year has been going by wicked fast.

Dug Update: He is doing much better. We have some pretty special Angels in our lives (You know who you are ;-) ) and we finally figured out what was going on. There was talk of distemper (he is fully vaccinated. The vet said she's been doing this for 7 years and she's seen 4 cases of distemper, 3 of them in the last 6 months. The last case was a dog she vaccinated.) talk of botulism and of Myasthenia Gravis (MG for short). He was treated for all three (trust me, don't google distemper or botulism for canines. SCARY!) He came home looking better and within a week bulked back up.
Three weeks later, his symptoms came back. Walking funny, not stooping to drink. This and a test confirmed what we all thought, its MG.

It's all good though. We can maintain it though steroids and he'll be fine. I'm actually pretty familiar with the condition since we have a family member with it. It's a pretty rare disease and the vet was surprised when I told her I knew what it was. He will have good days and bad days (where he gets spoiled, lays around the kitchen and get lots of love from the kids; he actually enjoys it and is sad when he as a good day and I kick him out to run and play).

Luckily we have a back-up dog to keep things running smoothly and keep an eye on the neighbors. ;-) (And its chilly today so George is a grouchy. Who knew he was so touchy about the temperature?)

Vegan Update: We are now fully Vegged Out! We successfully eliminated the last few things and are two months animal free. My hair, skin and body feel sooooo much better (for reals, within a week my hair was softer and shinier. It's also growing like mad!). I lost 10 lbs just from eliminating dairy! We're almost completely gluten-free. That's completely by choice, we have no allergy to gluten but I do think my husband has a serious sensitivity to it. When he has gluten he feels sluggish, begins wheezing and I notice the whites of his eyes become less brilliant and bloodshot.

We also got a juicer and I LOVE IT! My favorite juice is carrot, ginger, beet, pear and kale. I've discovered that I LOVE beets and have to resist singing "I've got the beet, I've got the beet, I've got the beet. Yeah! I got it!" every time I'm at the store. Have you ever cut open a fresh beet? The color is just Oh My God gorgeous.

They should name a beet colored crayon that. "What color is that?" "Oh, it's Oh My God Gorgeous."

I feel like this is the only place we're I can talk about being vegan openly without defending our decision. I'm surprised that what we eat offends so many people! (Mostly my mom) I'm so grateful to all the vegan/vegetarian blogs out there. It makes me feel a lot less "weird" and "eccentric."

The kids are more-or-less vegetarian. They still have milk (they are not fans of soy or rice milk) pizza with cheese and occasionally ribs or steak tacos (they request meat about once a month). Caedon's teacher pulled me aside and told me that she noticed he eats all the fruit and veggies first and makes faces at the nuggets. She's never seen a kid snub chicken nugget day. I should be better about packing their lunches. I'll put that down for the next challenge.

Overall Update: We're doing well. I'm still trying to finish up a wedding I shot last month. I don't know why it's been so rough to get it done. There are a ton of photos (not an exaggeration).
Soccer is finally over. It was a short but busy season.
Halloween was fun. We met up with some friends who are also new the area, went trick-or-treating downtown and went for pizza afterwards.

I was accompanied by a very adorable Luigi and Captain Jack Sparrow. Oh that wig! I am so glad I don't have girls! If I had to comb/brush hair like that every day I'd go crazy!


I am not a "crafty" person. I see all these amazing things to make on Pinterest and think "hey, that looks like something I could make." Then this happened:


 I lack creativity and good scissors. I marked the eye holes with lip gloss for Pete's sake! And they still came out crooked!! (It's a good thing I can cook.)
In my defense I had less than an hour to feed the kids, get them in costumes and cut eye-holes in a sheet. He was happy, I was embarrassed and we got candy.


He only wore it for about 20 minutes, ripped it off and went trick-or-treating in his normal clothes. He has insisted on wearing it around the house for the last 2 days though.

So that's all I have for now. Hopefully it won't be another month before I get back here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment