August 3, 2011

Farewell to Borders

So many Borders Bookstores have already closed their doors. A couple of months ago, Ryan at This is Reverb posted that his borders in Cincinnati shut their doors. Several California bloggers/tweeters posted last minute runs to grab great deals.

Last week in Albuquerque, two of the Borders we went to announced their closure. It was still the first days, so the deals weren't fantastic {sorry, I don't consider 10% and 20% off a steal when your books are already overpriced} but it was sad. I love books and it excites me to see my husband finally grabbing new books. He had spent two years reading and re-reading paramedic books and medical journals that he was put off of reading for a while.

As always, I can find about 10 books to walk out of a store with. I came across this gorgeous cookbook. I don't can or jam or preserve but the photography is absolutely stunning. {the photography is by Sara Remington}
I don't jam

I love running across books written by bloggers that I follow. I read Hungry Monkey in Spring. I laughed, I laughed and then I went out to eat {what? The book made me hungry.} I've had the pleasure of talking to Matthew {and Molly Wizenberg} on the phone for a segment for their Spilled Milk podcast that didn't make the cut {which is beyond fine with me because the stories that did make the cut, hilarious! I'll tell you about it one day}. 
Hungry Monkey

And then this books caught my attention. Astro-turf book. It wouldn't make the cut for the shelf at home but people, ITS COVERED IN ASTRO-TURF.
Astroturf

I recently bought an e-reader {not a Nook, not a Kindle but a Pandigital that doubles as a tablet/ipad thing. I love it.} My husband has used it more than I have, but this past weekend I finally downloaded The Hunger Games and read that. When I finished it at 11:30pm, my local bookstore was closed and it was so convenient to download Catching Fire and start that one and Mockingjay following that. All without leaving my couch.

I'm sad to see stores closing their doors. Of course there is value in books. Always. More and more I find myself thinking "Is this a book I want on my shelf? Is it worth buying or getting from the library? Can I find it cheaper on Amazon? Is the e-book cheaper?"

I guess that kinda makes me part of the reason why they are closing. Well not just me, but me along with all those other people that are thinking along those same lines. At what point did Borders stop creating a value/quality of their stores? Why Borders and not Barnes and Noble?

Oooo...remember Waldenbooks? Oh I loved Waldenbooks. We had one in our mall and I used to wait for the newest Sweet Valley High book to come out and my Grandma would take me to get it. I bought the original release of The Vampire Diaries there. Good times.

Sorry, tangent. But that's the whole point right? Even though these are chain stores they still hold great memories. {You did read Ryan's post I linked to, right?} It's not just the books, the mediocre coffee bar and less-than-stellar "sales" prices. It's the whole process of walking in and looking at books. You can't do that on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment