April 5, 2011

How-To: Aaaaagh-nts! **Update**

Last week I paused to show you my plight.

Aaaaaagh-nts!

I mixed 4 tablespoons of sugar and about 1/2 cup of Comet Cleaner. I honestly didn't measure the Comet, it was a few good shakes. I had the ant hill at the front of the house that I showed you, plus one in the backyard.

I liberally sprinkled my sugar/comet/mix of death on the ant hills.

Later that night, I noticed there were some very sluggish ants. There were noticeably fewer ants and they were not moving at their usual pace. This seemed promising.

Day 2-3 didn't show any fewer ants than Day 1. I figured the evening progress would continue and they would be eliminated by the third day.

This was not so promising.

But...Last night when I went out to water the lawn dirt, I saw this:

Aaaaaagh-nts! Gone!!

Oh yes. Eliminated!!

I didn't add any additional mix, I watered the front yard a couple of times in the last week, but didn't flood the ant hill like I normally would.

So I would call this a success! A couple of household ingredients, some patience and it all worked out.

I expect more ants, its just what they do; so next time I think I'll up my sugar/comet ratio to about half and half. (I would guesstimate it was around 1:3). It worked much more efficiently on the backyard ant hill than the front, although based on my very limited ant expertise they were the same type of ant.

But for now, I'm going to enjoy my ant-free sidewalk.

Aaaaaagh-nts! Gone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment