March 31, 2011

Tofu Stir-Fry

Pretty darn straight forward, no?

I used to not like bell peppers. Something about the watery crunch...yeah, not for me. I would order pepper steak without the peppers. Fajitas without peppers.

Then I went out of town for a baby shower and had dinner at a friends house. We ate broccoli rabe, salad and grilled shrimp skewers with peppers, onion and pineapple. Two amazing things came out of that dinner. I discovered Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, and I now use it on almost everything...and peppers. The yellow pepper was so perfectly grilled to almost charred. It was delicious. I even stole peppers from my friends plate when she wasn't looking.

This opened up a whole new world for my husband. I avoid pickles for him, he avoided peppers for me. That's love.

Once I proclaimed my love for the yellow pepper, my husband dreamed up this power food stir-fry. I love it. I've made this stir-fry twice a week in the last three weeks. Filling in the weeknights that I don't make this.

Peppers
Two peppers, chopped. I used one yellow and one orange. I like to point out the obvious.

Spiced Tofu
I used two blocks of extra-firm tofu. Sprinkled liberally with Tony's.

Wok-ed Tofu
Any time I try to bake/roast tofu it becomes one with the pan. So I prefer to wok it. Cue Beastie Boys: I'll stir-fry you in my wok

Peas
I threw in a little over half a bag of frozen peas and cooked them until they were slightly caramelized.

Quinoa, Peas
I always have quinoa in the fridge. So I put it in. Be careful, it will stick, so only throw it in at the end and just to heat through.

Tofu Stir-Fry
I throw everything back into the wok, just to heat and meet.

Tofu Stir-Fry
A close up. For reals, this is delicious.

Tofu Stir-Fry
2 Peppers (any color), cubed
2 Extra-Firm Tofu packages, drained, patted dry and cubed
Cajun Seasoning to taste
1/2 lb Frozen Peas
1/2 cup prepared Quinoa
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon Vegetable Oil

Heat a wok.
Add vegetable oil to wok, heat to a shimmer.
Add peppers, gently. Hot oil splatters and burns, FYI.
Cook until caramelized. Eat hot out of the pan. Burn your tongue, remove to a bowl. Set aside.
Add in half the tofu. Cook to your preference. I like mine crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Remove to a bowl.
Cook remaining tofu. Stop eating peppers and tofu that you've already cooked.
Remove all tofu.
Add peas. Cook until unfrozen and again, to your preference. I like mine slightly caramelized. If you like them more "poppy" don't cook so long.
Add quinoa. Be careful. The quinoa will burn and stick to the wok quickly.
Add in peppers and tofu.
Stir together and serve.

1 comment: