February 6, 2011

Not Very Authentic

I love Tiramisu. If it's on the dessert menu, I won't pass it up. It's a problem that I've been combating with 90 seconds of mountain climbers three times a week. (Hey, I'm down 15 lbs!)

My mom came to visit this weekend and she brought a clipping from a magazine for a Tiramisu cake. Tiramisu made in a bundt pan. No mascarpone. No espresso soaked lady fingers. Well that's not very authentic, is it?

You know what it is? Tasty. I think it's offensive to call this a Tiramisu, as the magazine writes. If I were Tiramisu (which I might be, considering I eat so much of it and after all, you are what you eat) I would be a bit miffed. A lot miffed. But it's worth telling you about. So lets call this Cake with Coffee and Cream Cheese Frosting. Yes.

Completely-Fake-Nothing-Authentic-About-It-Tiramisu-Bundt

Cake with Coffee and Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from Family Circle Magazine

1 box (18.25 oz) French Vanilla Cake Mix
1 pint Coffee Ice Cream*, melted
3 Eggs
Ingredient Line-Up
*I could not find coffee ice cream. Actually I did find coffee ice cream...and then someone took it from the case before I could snatch it. The last pint of coffee ice cream. So I settled for 1 pint of vanilla ice cream and added 1 tablespoon of instant espresso powder.

Heat oven to 350*. Coat a standard bundt cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Dust with flour, shake out excess.

Beat cake mix, ice cream and eggs. I used my KitchenAid on low for 1 minute, scraped the bowl; two minutes on medium. Scrape into prepared pan.

Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 20 minutes. Invert onto rack to cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua**
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
**I didn't have Kahlua. So I put in a teaspoon of instant espresso powder.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, butter and liqueur on medium speed until light and creamy, about two minutes. On low speed, gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. I did a half cup at a time. Refrigerate until cake is cooled.

Refrain from eating with a spoon.

Place cake on a stand, spread top and sides with frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Dust top with cocoa powder and cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment